Sunday, 13 April 2008

On the roads with ETO

reviews and photos:
http://www.englishtouringopera.org.uk/
http://robertworkman.myzen.co.uk/giovanni/
http://theoperacritic.com/reviewsa.php?schedid=etogiovan0308
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre/reviews/don-giovanni-hackney-empire-london-797500.html
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/opera/article3586448.ece
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/opera/article3592562.ece
http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/operalivereviews/story/0,,2266488,00.html#article_continue
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20080323/ai_n24954001

Being on the roads can be frustrating and tiring, but not when I go to sing Zerlina with ETO tour.
I am always so looking forward to each performance. I love the role, the music, the production and absolutely wonderful people in the cast, but also because I know that every performance will be different and will bring a lot of fun with it. There will be always something happening on stage or back stage. Lyceam, Sheffield

When I learnt the part in English I have not taken much into the consideration an obvious fact that for some singers in the cast English is their first language. I live 7.5 years in London, and every time I learn the role in English I discover a new side of English humour, a very specific to the English operatic translations. This of course has been the very first fantastic reason for jocks and laughs during the rehearsal period. Like in German you will always find 'herz' and 'schmerz', in English you will always find words like 'Rascal', 'wretched man', ' this is madness' etc.
Then, there are also words and phrases that naturally creep into your daily language. Whenever you approach a comical situation in life which remind you of an operatic libretto, you can use the line and make a laugh about it. In my role there are few :' Oh, well it's not too bad if nothing's broken' and ' He did not touch the tips of my fingers', 'Then you are bound to end up in dreadful trouble'..When the tour started I was curious to see the towns, the theatres and the audiences. What I have not realised is that every town in England has got a different attitudes, accents and audiences. People respond differently to jokes and react differently during the performance.
In Sheffield, I was on the bus to the theatre, asking my neighbour for directions. It did not take long till the whole bus joined the conversation, helping me to find the theatre. The people got so involved, that I felt slightly embarrassed. I loved it though, as it happens so rarely in a big city like London.
Therefore when I have arrived to the theatre I offered to the rest of the cast to sing the show with a Yorkshire accent, which I find very attractive.
Sheffield for top of the Lyceam

Since then every recitative call before the opera started became the funniest part of the day. The words were sang with: German accent, terribly posh English accent, with a lisp and of course with strong Russian, Icelandic and Welsh accents. I think the audiences deserve to hear it...

It is not so good though for when the performance stars, as the memory still holding the fanny association connected with the words and at times it is difficult not to cops. This is when it is really difficult to look at each others eyes on stage.

After the show there are two choices, to go to the pub, or to go to sleep to your b&b. I must say that it is not very pleasant to walk alone to your b&b in the strange town alone at 11pm. I am very sensitive to the places that I am staying. There is always a good, an ok, or a bad vibe about places. Up until now I was lucky and stayed in lovely houses, with warm people, lovely dogs, cats and children.
Which reminds me once of staying in a hotel in Paris. The walls were so thin between the rooms, that I could hear everything what was going on next door.. But worst of all, in the middle of the night I thought that someone has entered my room and was standing next to my bed telling me something. I woke up with cold sweat and my heart pounding. I heard my next door neighbours arguing. Since the walls were so thin, in my sleep I imagined that it is all happening in my room. I was terrified.

In Truro we went to a night club, as there were no pubs open in such late hours of the night. I have never been to a night club before, and have never seen so many drunk teenagers, guarded by police and security. I felt that I am so far behind what is happening in the modern English young generation. It was shocking. I also, for the first time in my life felt old and out..
We asked the police how do they allow something like this happening under their own eyes, and they replied that it is better to have it under control, under one roof, then God knows where, God knows doing what.............

Next time someone from the cast promised to take us to karaoke..What joy!

No comments: